Sunday, March 11, 2012

Davis Weather Wizard - Hacking the Serial Port - IV



Success!!? I spent a few hours this weekend figuring out the syntax and commands on the Bus Pirate board.  So, after building a cable, and fussing around a little with the pull up settings, and unless the BP macro is giving me phantom devices...



I2C Address Scan of Wizard w/ BP!

We are in.  ☺ Yeah, it found devices, 127 of them!  The problem now is which device(s) contain the defined Bank 0 and Bank 1 data.  The other worry I have is I never heard the third beep, recognising a valid Data Logger device.\ So simply having a I2C master is not enough.  My fear is that unless one of these devices gets a handshake of some kind the data will not be processed for the data logger device. 





The next step?  I think I may need to write a macro to read out some of this info from a number of these devices at a time.  The nibbles I think I will go after first is the date/time. The 6 nibbles starting at 0x1BE (BANK 1 - 190th location)  This data should be recognisable, the same time as the console, with one BCD digit at 0x1C2 incrementing every second.  Or simply brute force a dump out some consecutive locations at each of these devices to see if anything starts to line up with that published memory map.


Here are the connection details for my cable used to connect BP to WeatherLink connector on the Wiz .  Note; that I intentionally did not wire the +12V (BLACK) wire.  I did not want to accidentally expose the BP to that +12V supply on its maiden hack!  I simply soldered a 3-pin male header to the phone cable and plugged in the BP cable to the other side


What a neat little tool that is BTW...Oh, I have some projects in mind for the Radio Ranch with that thing. 

☺☺☺

No comments:

Post a Comment