Friday, February 4, 2011

$99 Weather Station..."Part Deux"

I see they are now in the $80 range ...oh well for once I am an early adopter?  I am thinking that this was made for Celestron by LaCrosse.  It has that look and feel to it.  There are another bunch of cheap wx stations appearing in various catalogues.  I picked up a wireless Rain Gauge at the Home Despot ...for about 30 bucks when I put in my new lawn to monitor the watering  last year.  It stopped working after about a week.  

Anyway, I hope to see the familiar 44-bit packets as shown in  Jean-Paul ROUBELAT - F6FBB (a Fench Ham) post at : http://www.f6fbb.org/domo/sensors/tx3_th.php 

The wireless snoop will give me a second source of wind speed and direction, and an extra outdoor temp located in that sensor as well.  Pressure and RH%  are most likely locally measured in the console. 

The pressure and RH% were real easy to read on the PIC weather station using an A/D converter and a couple OpAmps.  I should have no problem porting these  to the new APRS WxServer. 

I am a little cautious of relying entirely on this station's wind sensor it seems more flimsy than the Dallas Semi 1-Wire, which started having issues after about a year of operation, the speed sensor would "stick" and when it broke free again it would sometimes give a huge false wind spike (50+ MPH) When I took it down I found that the plastic around the bearings simply went out of round causing the axial to wobble.

It will be a happy day if I see these as there is a Practical Adrino Post by Marc Alexander and Jonathan Oxer ~that should do most, if not all, of the heavy lifting on the decode! 

No comments:

Post a Comment